Thursday, June 18, 2009

Three Looms for Art Camp (cont.)


Besides being dusty & grimy, the three little Artcraft looms had some serious rust issues. Most were cosmetic, but a rusty reed would have been a problem - lots of friction on the warp threads and the likelihood of permanent rust stains on any fabrics produced.

First, I brought out the guy tools to do the heavy lifting. I followed up with a rolled up piece of 220 grit sand paper to do a little "flossing" around the top and bottom.





When I had everyone brightened up a little, I gave everybody a couple of coats of Johnson's Paste Wax. It's a trick I learned in wood working to help keep moisture off metal surfaces, and it also acts as a lubricant. (Just ignore the glass of G&T lubricant in the picture.)









All together now and ready for warping. Everyone knows you have to be warped to weave. (Big shout out to Syne at WeaveCast who started me down this twisted path. Listened to every single podcast - just look at what you've done. )










No comments:

Post a Comment