Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gotta be warped to weave

So, we start out my measuring out 7 yards of 8/4 Maysville cotton warp on the the back of my Harp rigid heddle loom. As it turns out 7 yards is just about all you can put on the Artcraft looms I'm working with. I love it when serendipity befriends you. 





You use a simple finger crochet technique to 'chain' the warp off the warping board. I love handing multiple strands. The warp is designed to be 6 inches wide and 8 ends per inch = 48 strands. 






With the open 'cross' in my hand, I sley the reed and thread the heddles. 







Though the looms have 4 harnesses, I'm only using 2 for the kids summer camp projects - don't need to be complicating things when there are so many variables to explore with 2 harnesses. 






Group the warp ends into groups of 8 and tie a simple overhand knot to secure them.  







Loop the knotted warp ends over the warp beam stick and secure them with a simple overhand knot. Simple, but it works amazingly well. 






Then a miracle happens and the warp is tightly wound around the warp beam and you can tie it off to the cloth beam stick with a tie-your-shoe bow knot. 

Weave in some waste rags to spread out the knotted warp threads and put in a mini blind 'spacer'. We're now ready for the kids to start their first project. 


I measured out another 7 yard warp using black thread and prepped loom number 2. 

Then I measured out anther white warp and ran out of time. We'll put that one on loom number 3 at the Art Center tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment